SALE OF UNVACCINATED KITTENS
13 Oct 2021
GUIDANCE FOR BREEDERS REGARDING THE CURRENT SHORTAGE OF CAT VACCINES
Unfortunately there is a worldwide vaccine shortage due to Covid related production issues combined with an increase in the number of cats needing vaccination.
The Veterinary Officer has contacted all the major UK vaccine manufacturers and they are all giving the same advice to veterinary practices which is to prioritise primary vaccination courses and delay booster vaccinations for up to 3 months.
There will be no rule change in relation to vaccination as the clause in Rule 1/10 b ii covers situations when a breeder cannot vaccinate kittens in an emergency.
Breeders should make every effort to find a practice that will provide a complete vaccination course at the usual age ie 9 and 12 weeks. It is most strongly recommended that you try to book a litter in as far ahead as possible ie at least 4/5 weeks before the first vaccine is due. If you encounter difficulty please explain to the practice that vaccination prior to sale is a GCCF rule that is there for the protection and welfare of kittens up to 12/13 weeks of age before being released to their new homes.
If no practice in your area is able to either fully vaccinate kittens or give only a single dose of vaccine, the GCCF Veterinary Advisory Committee has agreed that kittens may be rehomed under the emergency provision of GCCF Rule 1/10 b ii which requires the breeder to inform the GCCF Office with a valid reason for failure to vaccinate. The kittens must be at least 12 weeks old and have had at least one health check by a veterinary surgeon before rehoming.
At present you are asked to send a copy of a Vet’s letter confirming that the kitten was not vaccinated due to a supply shortage and that a health check has been carried out on the kitten before it was rehomed. A copy of this should also be given to the new owner. The breeder must also advise the new owner that the kitten must be fully vaccinated by their own veterinary surgeon at the earliest opportunity. The new owner should also be advised that the kitten should be isolated from all other cats until at least 7 days after the 2nd dose of vaccine.
This is an interim measure. The Veterinary Officer is preparing a form which can be used to make this process easier for the breeder and their veterinary surgeon and remove the need for a vet’s letter as all the necessary information will be covered by the form which will include a blank space for the kittens health check result and need to be signed by both breeder and vet before being sent to the office. The breeder will not need to inform the office in any other way if the form has been submitted correctly. This form will be available to download from the GCCF website shortly.
Please check the website regularly for the latest information.
Dr Susan F Moreland BA Vet MB MRCVS
GCCF Veterinary Officer
11th October 2021
24 Sep 2021
The Election results are in and you will notice that there was a tie for 5th position on the Board.
It is my intention to put the tied vote to council at the meeting on the 6th November 2021 to decide upon the outcome.
There are a number of reasons for this which are:
- It is not long until the Council meeting.
- Having Civica do another round would cost more money and could also result in a tie.
- Council should decide the outcome as they would normally.
- It can quite simply be done by a vote in zoom if that is council's wish.
- LINK TO RESULTS
BOARD & FINANCE COMMITTEE NOMINATIONS
06 Sep 2021
Nominations for Board & Finance Committee can be found on the Current Council Meeting page of the website: https://www.gccfcats.org/current-council-meeting
CEVA ANIMAL WELFARE AWARDS
27 Mar 2021
TRAVEL TO EUROPE & N. IRELAND WITH YOUR PET FROM 1st JANUARY
29 Dec 2020
TRAVEL TO EUROPE & N. IRELAND WITH YOUR PET FROM 1st JANUARY
This is the link to the DEFRA website for the relevant information for travel with your pet to Europe and also Northern Ireland.
17 Nov 2020
CANCELLATION OF SUPREME SHOW & OFFICE CLOSURE
19 Mar 2020
As most will be aware a number of GCCF shows have recently been cancelled, due to the ongoing issue of COVID-19. It has been decided, after due consideration, that the GCCF Supreme Cat Show 2020 should be cancelled. Whilst we are very much aware that the scheduled date is not till October, it was decided the responsible thing to do was to cancel, before investing large sums of money into an event which could ultimately be cancelled at a later date. This will, as far as we possibly can, ensure the safety of our staff, exhibitors and public alike.
It is unfortunate that we have had to take such drastic measures but we must be aware of the impact this could have on everyone, and act responsibly in accordance with Government legislation, also be aware that the circumstances are constantly changing.
Due to the control measures in place in regard to COVID-19, unfortunately we have also had to take the decision to close the office from 4.30 pm on Friday 20th March until further notice. This decision has not been taken lightly. We have put things in place to provide a reduced service but this may change if staff members become ill.
Phone calls and voicemails to the office will not be monitored, so we ask you to send your query in by email to: email@example.com where our staff members working from home will be able to help you.
If you are waiting on registration cards, these will be sent as soon as possible. We have reduced our printing & posting, so it may take a little longer than usual for you to receive registration cards. If you need to send us something that is urgent, then please send this by email and not by post.
And please remember that you can register kittens, and complete transfers via the online services on our website, rather than posting in the paper forms.
We thank you for your patience and understanding at this difficult time and, again, if there is anything that we can help with, please send us an email.
The Board and Staff of GCCF hope you all remain safe and well.
John H Hansson
CANCELLATION OF SHOWS & MEETINGS
17 Mar 2020
CANCELLATION OF SHOWS & MEETINGS
Following the announcement by the Prime Minister and Chief Medical Officer last night that all people should avoid social gatherings, the Board of Directors has concluded that all cat shows and club meetings must now be cancelled, to ensure we comply with any Health and Safety measures that may be imposed. It may be possible to hold your club meeting electronically .
We wish to assure Show Managers that we will do everything possible to ensure support for any shows which may be cancelled due the Covid-19 outbreak, show managers are advised to ensure, as far as possible, they minimise their costs. Relevant clubs have been contacted, and the question of support for those that have incurred costs will be discussed by the Finance Committee in a teleconference tomorrow. Anyone with an urgent enquiry should contact the GCCF Office so that it can be passed on to someone best placed to help.
There will be no June Council Meeting so delegates should not book any advance travel tickets. Board discussions will be by teleconference and email.
GCCF will do what it can to assist clubs but at this juncture it is too complex to state to what extent.
You are all strongly advised to follow any Government or Local Authority guidance in an effort to control as far as possible further spread of this Virus.
May all stay safe and well
John H Hansson and Board Members.
GCCF statement on Covid-19
15 Mar 2020
We are monitoring the situation closely especially the instructions on public events from the government, Public Health England and the chief medical officer.
To date public events- which include cat shows- are not being asked to cancel. But some national and local events have voluntarily cancelled.
Without national advice the cancellation of a cat show currently still remains the decision of that club and show manager.
But any club cannot make the decision whether you as an individual should attend or not as that depends on your individual age and risks of complications in contracting Covid 19. We all have to make our own decisions and we would encourage all of you to do that. This is likely to continue for some months and we need to protect ourselves.
We hope if shows go ahead that the show teams will look at ways to minimise risk. We have seen already shows with shorter show days with reduced access to public and encouragement of the increased cleanliness measures we are all being advised to do.
Unfortunately it also looks like there is no provision for an insurance claim under the GCCF insurance if a show cancels due to COVID 19.
The board has you all at the forefront of our minds and want you all to stay well. We will publish new guidance weekly and sooner if things change.
DEFRA pet travel guidance after Brexit
16 Jan 2019
DEFRA has contacted GCCF with guidance for pet/animal assistance owners intending to travel to the EU with their pet after 29th March 2019:
"We launched our pet travel guidance for each of the scenarios we may encounter after leaving the EU, including if the UK becomes an unlisted third country. These guidelines recommend that pet/assistance animal owners intending to travel to the EU with their pet after 29th March 2019 contact their vet at least four months before their travel date to get advice on what they may need to do to prepare. The recommendations also address the documents and health preparation that may be required for pets to return to the UK from the EU."