The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy is fully committed to safeguarding the welfare of all children that attend its events. It recognises the responsibility to promote safe practice and to protect children from harm, abuse and exploitation. For the purposes of this policy and associated procedures a child is recognised as someone under the age of 18 years.
Staff and volunteers will work together to embrace difference and diversity and respect the rights of children and young people.
This document outlines The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy’s commitment to protecting children.
These guidelines are based on the following principles:
- The welfare of children is the primary concern.
- All children, whatever their age, culture, disability, gender, language, racial origin, socio-economic status, religious belief and/or sexual identity have the right to protection from all forms of harm and abuse.
- Child protection is everyone’s responsibility.
- Children have the right to express views on all matters which affect them, should they wish to do so.
The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy will:
- Promote the health and welfare of children by providing opportunities for them to take part in cat shows safely.
- Respect and promote the rights, wishes and feelings of children.
- Promote and implement appropriate procedures to safeguard the well-being of children and protect them from abuse.
- Require staff, members and volunteers to adopt and abide by this Child Safety Policy and these procedures.
- Respond to any allegations of misconduct or abuse of children in line with this Policy and these procedures as well as implementing, where appropriate, the relevant disciplinary and appeals procedures.
- Observe guidelines issued by local Child Protection Committees for the protection of children.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate the implementation of this Policy and these procedures.
This Policy and these Procedures will be regularly reviewed:
- In accordance with changes in legislation and guidance on the protection of children or following any changes within The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy.
- Following any issues or concerns raised about the safety of children within The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy.
- In all other circumstances, at least every three years.