The following guide to the GCCF Vaccination Rules should be read by exhibitors as well as those responsible for checking validity of vaccination certificates at vetting-in.
GUIDE TO CHECKING VACCINATION CERTIFICATES AT CAT SHOWS
All cats attending GCCF shows must be vaccinated in accordance with GCCF Rule Section 5/3. The basic requirement is that cats must have been vaccinated against Cat Flu (Feline Calicivirus, Feline Herpes Virus) and Feline Panleucopenia (Feline Panleucopenia Virus) during the 12 months and 7 days preceding the show. Exact requirements vary slightly depending on the age of the cat – see Appendix 2 for the full rule.
- CHECKING VALIDITY OF VACCINATION CERTIFICATES (EXCLUDING ENTRIES)
Ask the exhibitor for the vaccination certificates and vetting-in slip/envelope to check before examining the cat.
- Check that the full pedigree name of the cat is the same as the name printed on the vetting-in slip/envelope. Some certificates carry the pet name only. In this case you should be able to identify the cat by checking that breed/colour, sex, date of birth on the certificate correspond exactly to the details on the vetting-in slip. If you have any difficulty with this consult the Duty Vet. The exhibitor should be advised to write the full pedigree name as registered on the front of the vaccination certificate.
- Check that the certificate has been issued by a veterinary practice ie it should carry a practice stamp against each vaccine entry or the practice details should be printed on the back of the certificate.
2. CHECKING VACCINATION ENTRIES.
In addition to checking the vaccination dates please check the vaccine labels to ensure they were in date on the day they were given and that they denote a UK licensed brand. A change of vaccine brand at any stage is not a reason for rejection.
For a full list of licensed UK vaccine brands see Appendix 1.
The criteria for passing certificates at each stage of vaccination are given in Table 1 below.
|No. of vaccination doses(D)on certificate||Criteria for Pass at Vetting-In|
(All certificates that do not meet these criteria must be referred to the Duty Vet)
(Mainly kittens up to 15 months)
|· D2 must have been given > 7 days before the show date.|
· Interval between D1 and D2 must not exceed 6 weeks. (Restart necessary.)
· D2 must have been given within the 12 months and 7 days preceding the show date.
|3(D1, D2, D3)|
(Complete Primary Course
– mainly 1 -2 year old)
|· D3 must have been given > 7 days before the show date.|
· D3 must have been given within the 12 months and 7 days preceding the show date.
· If more than 12 months and 7 days has elapsed since D2, the cat cannot be shown until 7 days after it has received D3.
NB: Interval between D2 and D3 must not exceed 15 months, or a restart of the full primary course will be necessary.
|4+ (D1, D2, D3 + B/s)|
(Primary Course + Booster/s
– 2+ years old)
|· The most recent Booster must have been given within the 15 months* and 7 days preceding the show date. (*Concession due to current vaccine shortages from 6/11/2021 until further notice.)|
N.B. If a cat/kitten has needed to restart its vaccination course for any reason all entries prior to the restart should be discounted.
PLEASE ALSO SEE THE LINKS TO APPENDIX 1 AND 2 ON THE RIGHT.